BIKEMountain biking and road cycling from April thru October in Rossland
GOLFThere are many beautiful golf courses in and around Rossland
SKICross-country, Downhill, Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding
Rossland is working towards becoming a sustainable community, and is currently updating the Official Community Plan to include this as a common goal.
Some of the current Green Initiatives include:
- Our Green Year- Local Rossland couple daily blog - follow their green journey through 2008 and 2009 as they try to reduce our carbon footprint and live a more environmentally friendly lifestyle
- Big Red Cats uses Bio-Diesel for winter 2007/2008. President Kieren Gaul said "this is part of our committment to the enviroment and sustainability. We are pleased to be one of the leaders in the Cat skiing industry in sustainability". BRC also does the following for the enviroment:
- 4 stroke snowmobile for our snow safety team - we have a Yamaha VK Professional wide track
- Most Fuel efficient snow Cats in their class - Our Pisten Bully 300's have the turbo Mecedes engines that are the most efficient in the iindustry.
- Ski Carbon neutral - for an extra C$1 per day guests can ski Carbon Nuetral - we will use the funds to ourchase carbon credits at the end of the winter.
- Rossland based Greener footprints goal is to enable customers and retailers to reduce the number of plastic bags handed out at the cash register. The goal is to make Rossland the first plastic bag free community in Canada!
Bear Aware is an educational program designed to prevent and reduce conflicts between people and bears in our communities. Rossland supports bear aware and recognises the need to educate people about how to deal with bears in the community
The City of Rossland also has a very creative way to encourage people to reduce their waste and increase the amount of recycling. By charging $1.50 for each garbage bag, people are incentivized to recycle (which is free) instead of putting goods in the garbage.